Saturday, August 22, 2026

A Drama that became Real!

The Turning Point

Thirty years ago, while teaching at Ragampet village high school, I experienced a moment that changed a student’s life forever. The tenth-class students, knowing it was their last SSC batch before moving on to college, requested me to write a social drama for them. They wanted something that could involve at least 20 students. Having written many dramas, mono-actions, and poetry before, I gladly accepted.

The Drama

I created a three-hour play titled “పదండి ముందుకు”, centered on a village suffering under the evil deeds of a landlord, lacking education, health, and basic facilities. The story revolved around a young man ‘Mora Bhadresham’ who becomes the sarpanch and reforms his village. With 20 characters, the play was staged in 1983–84 in the open area with lights, sound, and microphones. Villagers, students, and teachers appreciated it greatly. At that time, with no TVs or phones, dramas were the main source of entertainment. The play’s success spread to neighboring villages, and we performed it in 4–5 schools.

Cultural Engagement

Beyond dramas, I engaged students in cultural activities-songs, poetry, drawing, exhibitions, chorus, and mono-actions. I cherished intimacy and affection with school students, which I found more rewarding than college teaching. Over my career in 14 schools, I always stayed close to my pupils.

The Reunion

In 2012, after retirement, I attended a reunion organized by the 1984–85 SSC batch. Students garlanded me, offered a shawl, and honored all teachers in front of villagers, officers, and peers. I witnessed the success of my students, some working abroad as well.

The Ideal Sarpanch

During the event, a young man ‘Mora Bhadresham’ was celebrated as the ideal sarpanch of the village, awarded ₹2 lakhs by the state government. He spoke with pride, attributing his inspiration to the drama “పదండి ముందుకు!” in which he had played the leader role 30 years earlier. He explained that he hadn’t just acted in the drama, he lived it. Motivated by the play, he dedicated his life to reforming his village, becoming unanimously elected as sarpanch, and transforming the community with roads, water supply, health, and education.

Gratitude

He declared: “I am only a statue, beautifully carved by the great artist Manohar Rao Sir, who molded me into an ideal sarpanch and a leader through his play.” He introduced me to the crowd, expressing gratitude for planting the roots of his leadership. Tears filled my eyes as I hugged him, realizing the profound impact of teaching. He honored me by placing his garlands and shawl on me, making me feel like a hero in front of the villagers and alumni.

Guru

That day, I understood the true power of teaching. A simple drama had become reality, shaping the destiny of a village. Teachers indeed mold future citizens of the nation. This unforgettable experience remains the highlight of my career a drama that became true!

Know about my ideal student Sarpanch 
Mora Bhadresham






No comments:

A Drama that became Real!

The Turning Point Thirty years ago, while teaching at Ragampet village high school, I experienced a moment that changed a student’s life for...